Pheasant Ridge was chosen primarily for its location – near the storage unit and not too far from the farm where we were dropping my car. Tom made reservations over the phone – no specific site confirmed. I checked in upon arrival and paid the $91 for two nights (Good Sam discount). He was relieved when we got a pull-thru spot. Navigating the park was easy. It was cozy though, very close to neighbors – tons of big rigs – I have no idea how they got in and out of those spots. The office staff was friendly and the grounds tidy. We used the laundry facilities which were fine. The wifi was not at all usable from our site, granted near the edge, but not a total outlier. There was a pretty steep drop leaving the park and we definitely scraped something on the asphalt (hitch?). It was close to the highway, gas stations, starbucks, groceries, etc. I went for a short run but my options were limited unless I crossed the highway towards the highschool and a more residential area.
After more than a month of bouncing around spots at Vasa and Lake Pleasant RV parks on the east side of Seattle while I continued to work, Wednesday morning we finally hooked up and headed out for real. Naturally it was dumping buckets of rain and poor Tom was all on his own towing the trailer because I had to drive my Acura down to Portland to leave it at his friend/former boss’ farmhouse for long-term storage. 4 episodes of Serial Season 2 later and we were setting up camp in Wilsonville (luckily the rain let up to a gentle drizzle). We were pretty worn out from the drive and I was still fighting a sinus infection thing so we (and by we I almost always mean Tom for all things food related) made dinner and tucked in for the night. I slept on the “sofabed” bc of my nasty cough/inability to breathe but didn’t sleep great because we had realized the thermostat was broken and the furnace didn’t know when to kick off so we couldn’t leave it on all night or we’d roast. So by early morning it was super cold and I couldn’t sleep til Tom woke up and turned it back on, then I slept til 10am! oops. He called and made them give us a service appointment for the next day because we were leaving town (they wanted us to wait over 2 weeks). Then we made our plans for the day: quick swap out the mattresses (stock airstream one for my nice memory foam one), drop a bunch of stuff at storage then take my car to the farm, run some errands, maybe go for an easy bike ride, no big deal.
Until we stripped the bed and lifted up the mattress to discover moisture and black mold and mildew covering half the mattress and bed platform. A quick call to the dealer assured us they had nothing to help us and we were in for a DIY job. Sidenote: I had been very concerned about all the condensation that accumulated overnight for several weeks, but we couldn’t find a small dehumidifier anywhere local and were resigned to order one online this week. Apparently it’s quite common to have this issue in RVs and there’s no reason why the dealer shouldn’t have encouraged us to get a dehumidifier from the start. Hindsight right?
We studied the construction to determine what could be salvaged and took lots of measurements. We disassembled the platform and put the pieces into the truck and headed to the storage unit, then Home Depot. I ran around in search of a jigsaw, sandpaper and weatherstripping while Tom tracked down someone to cut the plywood we had selected. Then we headed way out into the country to his friend/former boss’ farm to drop off my vehicle and he kindly let us use his shop to finish prepping the boards.
Before we left Tom took me up to the greenhouses to check out the operation (the family owns a regional chain of garden centers) and I ogled over all the flowers and spied on the seeding/potting operation in process – super cool.
Took a detour for some food and more errands (no daylight left for a bike or run) then back to the RV park to wash all the linens and build a bed. I mostly just put the new waterproof mattress cover on my nice non-moldy mattress, held boards in place, and pointed out when Tom was using the “wrong” screws lol. And voila! We have a new bed. Just in time for a quick shower and sleepytime.
Early morning wake up call for the more industrious one of us to make a final storage unit trip before breaking camp, hooking up, and heading to the dealer to handle our electronics issues. End result there: new thermostat and new smoke detector. Plus they ordered a new toilet bowl bc the valve keeps messing up (and no one wants a bad seal on a septic situation!!). All under warranty of course.